DIYUN, DECEMBER 10: Vaccination against Hepatitis-B to be conducted at Diyun from the forthcoming week for those children and adults from 3-10 years and 10 years above groups who had missed the vaccine at earlier age.
The vaccination will be carried out by Biological Evans Ltd, a WHO affiliated group with the help of local medical officers and Accredited Social Health Activists. The cost of the Hepatitis-B vaccine is more than Rs. Fifteen Hundred in the market however as part of the immunization programme it will only cost Rs. 150/- for children below 10 years and Rs. 250/- for person above 10 years as per WHO scheduled rate.
Hepatitis B is a potentially life-threatening liver infection caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). It is a major global health problem. It can cause chronic infection and puts people at high risk of death from cirrhosis and liver cancer.
Each year, 1.5 lakh people in India die of hepatitis, which affects 60 million persons. Yet, very few people in India have heard of the disease that infects and kills more people in India than HIV, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
- Hepatitis B is a viral infection that attacks the liver and can cause both acute and chronic disease.
- The virus is transmitted through contact with the blood or other body fluids of an infected person.
- An estimated 257 million people are living with hepatitis B virus infection (defined as hepatitis B surface antigen positive).
- In 2015, hepatitis B resulted in 887 000 deaths, mostly from complications (including cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma).
- Hepatitis B is an important occupational hazard for health workers.
- However, it can be prevented by currently available safe and effective vaccine.
Spread awareness and encourage children and adults to get immunized against Hepatitis-B.